Automatic Production of HiRISE DEMs 4

Server is still running. ASP has changed during this run. We introduced a new IP filtering technique, MPI Parabola was sped up, and added a faster point2dem. I don’t remember when these changes happened to my server while processing these images. I also added a timeout for stereo pairs that take longer than 3 days to process. This is to stop a bad pair from just dominating the machine for 2 weeks. During this run, I also changed the settings so that two stereo pairs are always being processed at the same time. This is to keep my CPU pegged.

HiRISE Processing Log
Left Image Time What Happened
ESP_011543_1665 N/A Timed out
ESP_011563_2200 Lost Too narrow search
ESP_011582_1730 Lost Too narrow search
ESP_011592_1595 1d 10h I dunno
ESP_011608_1525 3h Too narrow search
ESP_011661_1410 N/A Timed out
ESP_011662_1750 1d 5h Pretty good
ESP_011672_1395 1d 12h Awesome
ESP_011675_1470 20h Too narrow search
ESP_011676_1700 1d 10h Awesome
ESP_011677_1655 2h Too narrow search
ESP_011683_1540 2d I dunno
ESP_011688_1760 N/A Timed out
ESP_011701_1790 11h Okay
ESP_011715_1800 15h Pretty good
ESP_011717_1910 2d 12h Pretty good
ESP_011720_1835 21h I dunno
ESP_011722_1460 N/A Timed out
ESP_011728_0985 N/A Timed out
ESP_011740_1830 1d 7h Too narrow search
ESP_011743_1725 5h Pretty good
ESP_011761_1485 13h Too narrow search
ESP_011765_1780 N/A Failed to download
ESP_011767_1640 4h Pretty good
ESP_011772_1790 2h Too narrow search
ESP_011773_1460 21h Bad search range
ESP_011780_1515 7h Awesome
ESP_011785_1875 4h Too narrow search
ESP_011818_1505 2h Awesome

Images

Automatic Production of HiRISE DEMs 2

I’m still heating my apartment with HiRISE processing. For details how I’m creating this, please look at this previous post. Let’s look at the recent results!

ESP_011265_1560 and ESP_011331_1560, requested by timparker. This stereo pair was a nightmare. D_sub said part of the south part of the image could be correlated even though only one of the images saw that part. Then in full resolution integer correlation, the algorithms went into an aggressive search for a match that didn’t exist. The end result meant that stereo took 15 days to complete! Yikes!

ESP_011287_2165 and ESP_011564_2165, requested by mcewen. Stereo finished in 5 hours.

ESP_011290_1800 and ESP_011778_1800, requested by mcewen. Stereo finished in 12 hours. It looks like stereo mis-guessed the correlation parameters for the crater chain, thus the long processing time.

ESP_011293_1710 and ESP_019218_1710, requested by cweitz. Stereo finished in 5 days! This might be because there is a lot of disparity happening this image. This is one of those problems where local homography transforms or epipolar alignment would make a major contribution in speed.

ESP_011310_1395 and ESP_011811_1395, requested by jwray. Stereo finished in 2 days. I’m disappointed that the mesa’s edges didn’t come out.

ESP_011314_1585 and ESP_011595_1585, requested by mcewen. Interest point detection failed in preprocessing. ASP just gave up and never completed anything. It is not clear to me why this didn’t work.

ESP_011319_2100 and ESP_011464_2100, requested by ltornabene. Stereo finished in 2 hours.

ESP_011339_1665 and ESP_011972_1665, requested by ltornabene. Stereo finished in 9 hours.

ESP_011350_0945 and ESP_011351_0945, requested by cjhansen. Stereo finished in 2 hours.

ESP_011365_1365 and ESP_011642_1365, requested by alxla. Stereo finished in 11 hours.

ESP_011371_1730 and ESP_011516_1730, requested by rbeyer. Stereo finished in 15 hours.

ESP_011372_1730 and ESP_012295_1730, requested by mcewen. Stereo finished in 9 hours.